Friday, June 24, 2011

Is it acceptable to look down on the professions of others?

A recent LinkedIn discussion left me wondering – why do some people feel that it is acceptable to demonstrate disdain when it comes down to certain professions? We often hear such metaphors as “used car salesman” when attempting to insult someone. Is that ever Ok?

This particular discussion focused on grouping all recruiters into being alike, comparing them to used car salesmen, HR clerks and administrative support professionals. (There was also comparison to IGA soup cans, but that particular argument was not well developed or even clear. ) Well, I ask, what is wrong with either one of these professions? And what exactly allows one to think that his or her career choice is superior to that of others?

Ignorance is an unfortunate phenomenon and I think that it is key for one to think before making his or her limited views public. Whatever it is you may think privately and discuss in the privacy of your own kitchen, is one thing. Insulting others in the public eye is undoubtedly beyond the line one should not cross.

It is also important not to resort to such dismal generalizations as “all are ... “. Unless you have met every single representative of a certain profession, you run the risk of coming across as pompous when making such statements.

A healthy discussion, disagreement and debate are fascinating to us. Having to respond to insulting comments, on the other hand, is not.

On a more positive note: Happy Holidays to our fellow Quebeckers!

6 comments:

  1. Hear, hear! College professors are always described in the media as absent-minded, badly dressed, supercilious and mildly ridiculous. However, many of us are friendly, nice and very well-dressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment, Clarissa!
    Why is it, do you think, that people have the need to create stereotypes and resort to generalizations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the biggest respect for Professors & teachers.
    People forget to look at the big pictures these Professor are educating our children and the future Generation, they spend more time with our children and have the patience for it.
    it's the human nature to be judgmental, and criticize others because of a bad experience, or simply because it is something they hate.
    If everybody analyses the other person situation and put them self in their shoes their perspective will be different.
    I for one believe if you have a clear conscience and give it your best than no criticism or judgement should affect me, on the opposite it make me stronger, and normally that surprise the critics and make them think twice before they judge again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary AtallaJune 28, 2011

    I agree with Michel. Unfortunately, we live in a society that often relies on preconceived notions when it comes to the way we perceive one another. I’ve always found that putting oneself in the shoes of another is difficult for people who are in fact unhappy with their own situation, including their career.
    But on a more positive note, we often place too much importance on what other people think... What counts is that you are happy with your career choice and enjoy what you do! That makes you very lucky, so why worry about what others think?

    ReplyDelete
  5. AnonymousJuly 06, 2011

    Hello Marina:

    Could you possibly write a post(s) about the optimal candidate – headhunter interaction. I am going to start my own job search, and it’s clear that outsourcing it completely to headhunter(s) is not an option. Correspondingly, I will have to contact literally hundreds of companies on my own, and I am not sure whether getting a headhunter involved as well is possible, even if I wanted to do so.

    For instance, I won’t be able to answer the question to which companies I have already applied. There are too many of them, and oftentimes the contact is informal and it’s hard to say whether it counts as an application. On the other hand, I am not sure whether the headhunter really needs this information in the first place. For all I know, he/she is just trying to extend his network at my expense. How is it possible to combine my own search with that of a headhunter without clashes?

    Thanks in advance,
    N

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent question - thank you! I think that very many job seekers are asking themselves the same question (I know I did before I entered the recruitment field). Our next post will be dedicated to this subject.

    ReplyDelete